The drawback with analyzing basketball scheduling is how the gadgets come sluggishly trickling out over the course of half a yr or so: right here a recreation, tright here a preseason invitation; the SEC declares opponents one month, then six weeks later you see whether or not you’re getting a Chop up or a road or A house date.
In distinction to the Tide’s 2021 blockbuster schedule, 2022-2023 has been following that path extraso than ordinary. We’ve already coated the SEC slate — and for a change, it appears manageable. Right now, we’re going To take a Take A look On the out-of-convention equation. As a Outcome of, I don’t know Do You’d like to’ve paid consideration or not, however this card is getting crammed up mighty shortly, mighty quietly, and It is going to be double-stamp day On the IGA earlier than You Know it.
ALL HAIL THE PIG
Photograph by Chicago Photo voltaic-Occasions/Chicago Daily Information assortment/Chicago Historic previous Museum/Getty Pictures
Wright hereas we don’t have the October tune-up video recreations simply but, we do have virtually all of November and December, As properly as to The primary invitationals, already typeed out. Here They’re:
- 11/7 — Longwood
- 11/15 @ South Alabama
- 11/18 — Jacksonville State
- 11/24 — Michigan State: Phil Knight Invitational (Eugene)
- 11/25 — UConn or Oregon: Phil Knight Invitational (Eugene)
- 11/27 — TBA: Finals Phil Knight Invitational (Eugene)
- 12/4 — South Dakota State
- 12/10 — @ Houston
- 12/13 — Memphis
- 12/17 — Gonzaga
- 1/28 — @ Oklahoma: SEC/Huge 12 Problem
The factor that jumps out at you is how extra manageable this schedule seems over final season’s, regardless of having in all probability A lot extra mannequin identifys on the roster. Tright here’s nonetheless the week from hell, with two of the AAC’s best and Gonzaga; tright here’s nonetheless A troublesome OOC tilt in Eugene. But, what’s notably lacking are all these fullly different very exhausting decrease-primary video recreations that have been simply nightmare gasoline in ‘Bama’s schedule final season.
Take Just one early stretch for Alabama:
They didn’t Appear to be much On the time, however your Ionas and Drakes and Louisiana Techs wound up being killers. Two of these would play For his or her convention title; All of them had 23-plus wins; and all three went on the CBI or NIT tourneys. And fullly different people have been the video recreations we simply Sort of ignored, given thOn they have been wedged into the blockbusters. A lot of these varieties video recreations are lacking this yr, and Of their place, the Tide are handed the comparatively “simpler” process of punching cross-sensible at equally placeed Power 5 groups.
Name me loopy, however I’d pretty play a group like Oregon, who can compete For his or her convention, however fullly differentsensible You are simply anfullly different identify on the schedule, than a group like Iona That wishes to make a popularity off of slaying bigs — beset off final yr, they did. And Alabama’s 2020 and 2021 schedule was Suffering from them.
Furtherextra, You will discover that A lot of these perimeter groups that gave Alabama matches final season are principally gone. The groups Alabama attracts in 2022 are far extra typical lineups, with typical balanced rosters, although with extra of an emphasis on submit play.
Other particular lineup notes:
- Longwood (Internet 137) is quietly A pretty good group. They fulld 26-7 final season, one forward of Louisville in Internet and RPI. They earned a 14-seed and have gone To 2 straight submitseasons, regardless of having a program simply 9 yrs previous.
- Alabama will get anfullly different go to from feisty SoDak State (Internet 60). Baylor Scheierman is heading to Creighton. However the Jacks return An excellent deal of expertise collectively with Charlie Easley, and It is going to be a sixty-minute recreation.
- Alabama makes the SoCon / SBC in-state tour, internet hosting an …….